KEY STAGE 3
At Huxlow, we believe that learning a language is empowering as it opens doors in the world of work. But more importantly, it enables young people to widen their perspectives on life by discovering a different outlook on the world whether it is eating habits, school life, music and artists or just a different environment.
The (very) French department prides itself on delivering a fun and engaging curriculum where the French culture is regularly addressed in order to sustain our students’ curiosity.
As French is a core element of the curriculum at Key Stage 4, students are consistently practising GCSE skills in lessons and assessments throughout Key Stage 3 so they are familiar with these when starting the GCSE course.
Our Goal: “At Huxlow every individual is empowered to fulfil their potential”
To fulfil your potential at Key Stage 3 you should:
- Learn the vocabulary set for the vocabulary test (every week)
- Complete the “doing” task on time (every week) – research, translation, crossword, mindmap, collage, etc
- Use the vocabulary green book only – no need for a dictionary
- NEVER use online translators
- Organise revision before assessments (dates are always communicated beforehand)
- Choose the right level of differentiation in class or for homework
KEY STAGE 4
The French GCSE course is run over 3 years in order to maximise students’ knowledge and skills.
3 themes are to be covered throughout the 3 years and the skills required to be successful in the final examination are covered all the way through the topics taught.
The themes are:
- social media, cinema and TV, music, sports, eating out, celebrations, relationships and partnerships
- holidays, home and local area, environmental issues, social and global issues
- school life and careers
Students will be assessed in 4 different skills (Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing), each worth 25% of the final grade. In order to prepare for these 4 exams which take place at the end of Year 11, students will be regularly assessed in these different skills and feedback will be a crucial part of their progress.
The speaking assessments throughout the course will be conducted in examination conditions so students are more confident by the end of Year 11.
Languages Curriculum Year 10
Languages Curriculum Year 11
KEY STAGE 5
Huxlow Science College, The Ferrers School and Rushden Academy work together to create a unique post-16 learning community, The East Northamptonshire College (TENC). For details of the full range of courses and opportunities available, please visit www.tenconline.co.uk
Miss C Maubert – Learning Leader for Languages
Ms A Aufauvre – Assistant Learning Leader for Languages
Miss C Pucel – Teacher of Languages, Pastoral Leader for Year 7
Mrs L Gauvrit – Teacher of Languages, Assistant Headteacher
Mrs H Huchet – Teacher of Languages, Assistant Headteacher
If you would to find out more about the Languages curriculum, please contact Miss C Maubert, Learning Leader for Languages
- By phone: 01933 650496
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org