Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3, students are given the opportunity to develop their capability through assignments in which they design and make products, focusing on different contexts using Resistant Materials, Graphics, Food and Textiles. To give them a broad experience of Design and Technology, in Years 7-8 students rotate around each of the subject areas.
Our Goal: “At Huxlow every individual is empowered to fulfil their potential”
To fulfil your potential at Key Stage 3 you should:
- Complete weekly KS3 homework activities, published on Go 4 Schools, which are directly linked to the learning of subject knowledge and the understanding of each discipline being studied.
Key Stage 4
A range of courses are offered at KS4:
• Edexcel Design Technology (new for 2020), DT Graphics (legacy) and DT Resistant Materials (legacy). This course is divided into 2 elements: Subject content, knowledge and understanding (50%) and Controlled Assessment coursework (50%).
• WJEC Vocational Hospitality and Catering. This course is divided into 2 elements: Subject content, knowledge and understanding (40%) and Controlled Assessment coursework (60%).
• AQA Art and Design Textiles. This course is divided into 2 elements: Internal project (50%) and External project exam (50%).
Our values #2: “Everyone is ambitious and welcomes the challenge of being the best they can”
To be the best you can be at Key Stage 4 you should:
- Complete weekly KS4 homework activities, published on Show My Homework, which are directly linked to the learning of subject knowledge and the understanding of each discipline being studied.
Module tests are undertaken by all students to monitor understanding throughout the courses. Mock examinations are undertaken to evaluate the students’ understanding and practise actual DT exam paper formats.
What can I do with a Design Technology Qualification?
Design and Technology can introduce you to a world of career and opportunities, including:
Architecture, Interior Design, Engineering, Graphic Design, Product Design, Catering, Hospitality, Fashion Design, Film and television, Photography, Animation, Publishing, Advertising, Exhibition Design, Media, Web Design, Teaching.
Key Stage 5
Huxlow Science College, The Ferrers School and Rushden Academy work together to create a unique post-16 learning community, The East Northamptonshire College (TENC). For details of the full range of courses and opportunities available, please visit www.tenconline.co.uk
- Spring and Easter holiday workshops – KS4 and KS5
- Visits to: The Design museum, V&A Museum, New designers’ exhibition, Harry Potters world, Grand Designs, Mini Factory, Coca Cola Factory, Clothes Show Live.
- KS3 technology lunchtime workshops
- University trips
- Round table challenge
- STEM activities
- Crest Award
Mr A Turner - Learning Leader of Design Technology
Mr P Morgan - Acting Assistant Learning Leader of Design Technology
Mrs N Dube - Teacher of Food, Catering and Hospitality
Miss L Pollock - Teacher of Art/Pastoral Leader of Year 9
Mr A Meadowsmith - Teacher of Design Technology
Mrs L Lane - Teacher of Textiles/Pastoral Leader
Mrs C Clutterbuck - Design Technology Technician
Mr R Boyles - Design Technology Technician
If you would to find out more about the Design Technology curriculum, please contact Mr A Turner by calling the school on 01933 650496 or by email email@example.com